Pride- lengthy post.
In our four+ years of us being together, about 3/4 of them were spent in working towards our diplomas.
On days when classes ended early, we'd have our quaint little dates.
I remember them fondly..
$6 movies at Cathay, mash potatoes at Aston's, taking a bus to Waffletown, going to town doing god knows what...
So many memories of after school dates that stretched into nights.
On February 8th this year, I sent him off for his enlistment with his mum and grandma.
I'd expected to weep my eyes out, but surprisingly it was a light hearted affair.
His mum is hilarious and so crazy, a trait that their entire family has.
I did feel my heart lurch a little when we bade goodbye.
I remember sitting in Spanish class right after that, fretting about whether he would adapt well.
But of course he did.
H is a guy who's very fit, loves order, and finds strenuous activities to do with fire etc massively thrilling.
I knew that he would be a sergeant, and was so immensely proud when he was indeed inducted into the course.
Almost six months later, his trainee period is finally over and I couldn't be happier.
Prior to his enlistment, I was constantly worried about us and how we'd make it through.
It wasn't completely smooth sailing but cliched as this sounds, the experience has brought us so much closer.
He's been posted to an instructor position, and that would mean 8-5 shifts.
Sure, n.s for him isn't completely done but the worst is certainly over.
But for those girls whose boyfriends have yet to be enlisted, don't fret. This was asked for on formspring but take my advice with a pinch of salt. Afterall, I'm just another "n.s girlfriend."
Getting through your boyfriend's national service.
1) Anticipate- and talk it over.
It's commonly thought that national service ruins relationships. People keep telling me that "if you can make it through n.s, you can make it through anything." And that statement does hold some weight. A few of my love's friends have broken up with their girlfriends during their trainee period- more on that later. Here's the thing though.
You have to talk about problems that will arise in the relationship. My boyfriend was afraid that I would be angry with him when he'd be exhausted during our nightly phonecall. He had a perfectly good reason to think that.
But here's the shocking thing- Not once did we fight about him being tired!
Most of the time, we were just so preoccupied with missing each other and getting to the weekends. We just knew it wasn't worthwhile to fight over the little time we had to communicate...which brings me to the next point.
Other problems I predicted would be insecurity from H. He's not the type to be insecure, but being confined to camp all day and night for 5 straight days just does weird things to guys.
After predicting possible problems, we discussed solutions to them and promised to stick to them as best as we can.
2. Compromise
As mentioned, your boyfriend will be tired when he talks to you on the phone. It can get annoying when you haven't told him about important things that happened to you but be patient. He'll be tired but I believe that if he really misses you, he'll take some time to ask you about your day. I'm NOT a patient person (when it comes to buses, waiting..any sort of waiting really) but I love my boyfriend and hated hearing him sound so tired. Put yourself in his shoes and remember it's not easy for him to simultaneously be physically/mentally pushed every day and be away from you.
Also, it's extremely difficult for n.s guys to divide their time during the weekends between their families, you and their friends. I was lucky because H's main focus was me and his family. Sometimes he would meet his friends, but really late at night (after 12) and you have to let him go...he needs space too. At the same time, if your boyfriend is the annoying type that only wants to meet his friends...tell him off. In a nicer way of course. :D
3) You're not single.
As mentioned, locked up in camp breeds the green eyed monster. He may be suspicious of any new guy friend you make. H didn't stop me from making guy friends but he certainly had the belief that all are suspicious, until cleared. I treat all my friends the same so I thankfully did not do an about turn of character and started saying "Single five days a week!!!"- because I wasn't, and you're not either. Remember to NOT GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION. So many of love's girlfriends started texting their old flames or new guys started entering the picture. The girls aren't totally at fault. I know of many guys/crocodiles who love preying on girls who are vulnerable without their boyfriends' presence. I'm sure the couple already had their problems to begin with, but please..and I speak to both sexes. If you want someone new, break it off first.
4) You're not alone either.
I think some girls look to other guys for solace when their boyfriends aren't around. Perhaps they miss the comfort of a man, but what's wrong with being by yourself for once? I love having my alone time so when I'm not with my friends, I treasure my breathing space. Without H around most days, I spent more time getting to know the people I love and doing my work. Without the "distraction", you'll find yourself having more time to get started on that assignment. Also, when H was away in Sabah, I just kept reminding myself of when he was coming back and pretended that he was just in camp. I can't speak for a lot of girlfriends here, he only went away for 9 days. I have friends whose boyfriends go away for 6 whole weeks. :(
5) Keep it together.
H and I constantly missed and longed for each other on weekdays. Seeing him on weekends made my week soooo much better. Treasure the time you have by going on dates. You can do the same ol' thing but spice it up by going somewhere new, or maybe surprising him with something. I don't know what.
So there you have it, my 5 tips for surviving your boyfriend's dreaded trainee period of national service. My tips are no brainer really but they kept me going for the past 5+ months.
----
Love's passing out ceremony was yesterday!
Cabbed from Boon Lay and met his parents at his camp itself
Taxi driver told me to "cheer him on when he marches"..but err..SCDF doesn't really have parades for their passing out.
Blazer: Bugis
Pants: Topshop
I'm so proud of my sergeant boyfriend. :)))) I love you sweetie! I have 11 fully free days with him. :D
----
Went to school with Tiffany to get our books for this semester.
I have 5 more books to buy, yet the pile I have at home already amounted to $142.
Super excited to read my texts though!
They include Virginia Woolf, Milan Kundera, Toni Morisson and even Chaucer Hahaha medieval lit.
(Tiffy has The Bell Jar and Girl, Interrupted in her pile cause she's taking lit and madness. Jealous D:)
We were so sad that Sherwin couldn't join us for lunch and ehem camwhoring.

Alright, I have a super exciting weekend ahead.I'll be blogging my July Haul and Part of my "love story" next week.
love, naf.
Comments