A new year post..over four months later
I wrote a new
year’s eve post on the 30th of December, but had no time to finish
it so here I am again. 2013 started off spectacularly. I spent NYE doing
nothing much really. It has never been a big deal for H and I- we usually
spend it picnicking, cycling, something low key cause I hate the damn crowds.
This year, we wanted to go for brunch but we had no idea where. To make things
worse, it was raining heavily in Orchard and by the time we decided to eat at
Marche, I realized I’d forgotten my ATM card. Pure genius.
It was a shit
load of walking around aimlessly, till we decided on a café at Triple One
Somerset…till we discovered it was closed. We ended up at Starbucks in the end,
and sat there talking for a couple of hours. No fireworks or fist pumping to
flashing lights and loud music. Just lovely conversation and walking around
Kinokuniya, picking out books and magazines.
My lazy outfit
of the day.
(A cat we named Nala for its resemblance to the famed kitty)
I made garlic mashed potatoes, and a healthier version of it too cause I try to be conscious of the stuff that goes into my body these days. These were made with skimmed milk and a bit of butter. The chicken breasts were marinated for an hour with lemon rind/juice, chili, cajun and curry powder and grilled. The chocolate apple crumble wasn't very good in my opinion; I used the wrong type of brown sugar. Nevertheless, I was happy with my attempts and I can't wait to cook more often, for H.
Nadie hung out at my place for a while in which we ate and did completely nothing but lazed on the couch and watched tv. Caught the Bachelorette (not worth watching) with her before I made my way to town and impulsively bought a dress for partying later.
My friends love Attica for the crowd, and to some extent I do too. We headed there first to get our chops and the doors weren't open yet so we went to Zirca. I don't like Zirca for a number of reasons, the crowd is really young and every time I'm there, the place is teeming with mats or bengs. Went back to Attica again where the doors were finally open and waited for ages in the line. Meanwhile..
Nadie hung out at my place for a while in which we ate and did completely nothing but lazed on the couch and watched tv. Caught the Bachelorette (not worth watching) with her before I made my way to town and impulsively bought a dress for partying later.
My friends love Attica for the crowd, and to some extent I do too. We headed there first to get our chops and the doors weren't open yet so we went to Zirca. I don't like Zirca for a number of reasons, the crowd is really young and every time I'm there, the place is teeming with mats or bengs. Went back to Attica again where the doors were finally open and waited for ages in the line. Meanwhile..
We cabbed to Zouk thereafter where we got our chops. Bouncers are always laughing at the shit I have in my bag (lots of receipts, extra shoes, coins here and there) and the one that night was no different when he laughed at the rubbish and listerine (he said it would be useful later 0_0) I had in my bag. Fuel before dancing was Mcdonalds at Great World City, and I immediately changed to my flats.
Some people say clubs are meant for single people, and I get what they mean. I, however, am only there for the music and to dance. When on the dancefloor, the music pulses through my veins and I just have to dance. It's incredibly fun to get dressed up with your girlfriends and just let your hair down.
Now what I don't like about clubbing is the guys. When they are polite, it's fine...but then are those that don't get the hint and try to put their hands on your back, your head and think your butt is up for grinding. There was a particularly handsy guy that night, and he just wouldn't go away until we ran to Phuture. It was a really fun night too, and incredibly random as we met some strangers and had random conversations.
-- (I wrote this on Word which explains the odd layout)
If the world
had ended on 21st December, I would have had few regrets. 2012 has been a
fucking incredible year. Unlike 2010's brooding over messed up and long gone
friendships, and 2011's grappling with certain changes, I completely
detached myself from any toxic associations this year. On 31st December 2011, I
filmed myself on my flipvideo camera, watching a plane go by and promising to
be on one the following year. Little did I know that I'd be flying to Europe
and spending six amazing weeks there.
It wasn't a
long time but six weeks abroad brought a number of changes. I returned feeling
extremely disoriented and unhappy that I was back on Singapore soil. Perhaps I
should have been relieved to be home but I think I was wrenched out of my happy
French bubble too soon. It was a scary, confusing time cause I started
reevaluating my life- relationships, career and basically what I wanted to do
in my life. I was and am addicted to travel. When I turned 22, I realized my
twenties are a precious time of my life that requires me to see the world and meet
different people.
It terrified
me that people my age (and in long term relationships as well) were getting
engaged/married and applying for HDB flats. I still have no idea where my life
is going, yet these people seem to have their whole lives completely planned
out. Sometimes I wondered if they'd cast their dreams aside to settle down. Most times, I wonder if I have too many dreams and too little time or money
to fulfill them. Surprisingly, H feels the same way. We had loooong discussions and
all and agreed to just live our lives first.
So I'm here
now, typing out this post and wondering what the heck is in store for me in
2013. All I know is that I'm going to find a way for me to travel. I'd really
like to visit Cambodia, Philippines and of course...less likely destinations
would be Italy, Greece, Amsterdam and Prague.
To end off
this reflection, here's an abrupt post on the things I did in 2012.
- Became Editor in Chief of NTU's Inverse. I've been slogging at the paper since 2010 so this was a wonderful reward. I am stepping down next semester.
- Flew to Perth, Australia by myself during school term. Summer was blistering there, but I'll never forget the countless trips of walking across UWA's beautiful campus, sipping on a fruit smoothie on a bench in Subiaco, staring out at clear blue skies and watching the boats dock at Matilda Bay and later chancing upon a group of happy dolphins in the water.
- Major changes to my hair this year. I rebonded my hair in February, dyed my own hair in May and ended off the year with rebonding and a digital perm.
- I started working out again. I will be blogging about this in detail but to summarize- It has been over two months now and I'm really starting to see the changes. I started eating healthier too. I used to drink bubble tea twice every week and constantly snacked, Now, I drink bubble tea 2-4 times a month and HARDLY EVER SNACK. This is a huge achievement for me. My meals have become a lot healthier now too with better choices of bread, rice grains and the way my meat is cooked. My stomach has flattened and toned up considerably and my ass has thankfully become a little perkier. My thighs need a lot more work.
- Spent my first night in Paris, jetlagged and pushing our heavy luggages along cobbled streets, wandering around the dingy Montmartre in the darkness looking for accommodation. Imagine three petite Asian girls looking around in desperation for an available hotel room.
- Made friends from around the world- the bulk of them were from the University of Michigan. The guys from the uni were very friendly and easy to talk to, whereas the girls, as expected, were a little more unapproachable. Had some pretty awesome days of walking in the rain with my Michelle and Cody (who is Cambodian American and speaks Cantonese) to the kebab shop, eating..well..kebabs, talking about our respective countries, dancing in our dorm and rooms and teaching the bhangra to the Michigan guys (as well as the guys from the University of Buffalo) , singing Call me Maybe while running in the rain with my girls and Alex and Monica. I also met a couple of French students, a Daniel Radcliffe doppelganger (a true gentleman, and half Brit-French), a Malay-Malaysian girl who lives in Troyes and was my buddy, THE translator who was the apple of many of my friend’s eyes for his fluent English, approachability and erm..sculpted body. Other international students I met included hilarious and cheeky African guys we played Who wants to be a millionare with (who thought Malay girls he saw on TV were slim and beautiful hahaha) , Guatemalan and Indian students from Michigan. It was an amazing experience to meet different kinds of people and I keep in touch with the ones I interacted with most via Facebook- and for the closest, instagram.
- Went for a thousand and one brunches. There were countless brunches at Antoinette, Paul, Tiong Bahru Bakery etc.. I love food but brunch food has got to be my favourite meal of the day.
- Opened up to new people- which is quite a feat for me. And cause of that I became so much closer to my dear Tiffany and got two new crazy friends- Parveen and Shalini whom I can be my complete vulgar and crazy self.
- Joined Instagram! I am crazily addicted.
- I forgave.
To an amazing year ahead,
Naf.








Comments