London Day Three x Liverpool

I apologize if my travel posts aren't descriptive enough.Much time has passed and frankly, it is exhausting to recall the tiniest details on this blog. A lot of them were recorded on my travel journal, so I'd never forget. In London, our breakfasts (and dinner too at times) were composed of Mark and Spencer's goodies. We had their fudgey chocolate muffins, chocolate biscuits, sandwiches (I got so, so sick of cold sandwiches after my Europe stint) and fruit smoothies. The yoghurt and granola snack I had below was nice...but to be honest, I couldn't finish it. It resembled my rabbit's food after a while.


On the third day, we got up nice and early for a bout of museum hopping/sightseeing and a spot of shopping. Tiffany braided my hair and while she was really good at it, she refuses to braid her own.


Our first stop was the National Portrait Gallery as Tiffany wanted to check out the Lucien Freud exhibition. When we got there, we were disappointed that the entry fee was 15 pounds. We needed that money for other things, so we decided to skip it. Pity though. His work is amazing. Instead, we walked around the free galleries and even listened in to the free school tours. We took the tube and we were off to Westminster Abbey. 






It was just....breathtaking.


You can find plenty of Gothic architecture in churches and cathedrals all around Europe. You need to see this in person in order to understand how visually stunning it was. My favourite though, will still be La Sagrada Familia (up next in my Barcelona post).
Really didn't feel like dressing up that day.






Walked around in the cold, wondering where to eat till we saw a huge poster advertising really good lunch deals. Ended up having lunch at a cosy little bar. By the way, in London, public wifi is readily accessible (their version of Wireless@SG is Thecloud) which was a god send when you're traveling without 3G.





After lunch, we took the tube and went to Oxford Street again.


This time round, we went everywhere. Went straight to the second floor of Primark where we were immediately overwhelmed by the dirt cheap and huge variety of shoes. Got myself a pair of good quality leather brogues for only 6 pounds (sale). Tiffany was a little broke that day since she had to save money for Anfield, so she waited while Christina and I drowned ourselves in heaps of shoes and bags.
Crossed the street, and walked around in glee in Superdrug. I love being around affordable makeup so it was incredibly difficult choosing the things I really wanted.Su



Bags/shoes/necklace(for my bestfriend) from Primark. Postcards of my favourite writers and bag from the National Portrait Gallery. Other postcards from St Pancras. Cat eye sunnies from Topshop.


Superdrug haul. Everything I bought came highly recommended from Youtube makeup gurus. The MUA eyeshadow is a dupe of the Naked Palette (which I ended up buying later).
The Sleek 3 in 1 blush is always sold out so I was sooo happy I got my hands on one. 
Next morning: we walked to Euston station and took a train to Liverpool.
The train ride, as always, was peaceful and scenic. I want to go back to Europe and get myself a train pass.
Reached Liverpool and it was so.damn.cold. Much colder than London, and we weren't prepared in the least. Left the station and were surrounded by these beautiful landmarks.





Took a bus to Anfield Stadium, located in the suburbs. Felt really out of place there.
 
Was so bored in the store. Walked around more than ten times I think.

Tiffany went off for her museum tour while Christina and I waited around. Didn't want to pay for it. So we stood outside in the cold, had a quick cup of hot chocolate at a nearby diner (felt extremely odd there. While people weren't staring, it was obvious that our presence caused some discomfort). We rushed out after warming ourselves. And continued standing in the cold. Did a lot of stupid things to distract ourselves...like singing, taking stupid photos, walking in to the store and trying out shorts, waiting ourside in the cold again....I think security was suspicious of us.


Stupid diner I wish to erase off my mind.
Tiffany finally came and we took a bus back to Liverpool One. It was a huge mall with plenty of amazing stores like Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Zara etc.

We were starving so we had lunch at a random Asian Restaurant called Wagamama. Food was okay. 

 

My dish that consisted of spicy coconut milk like gravy and glass noodles. Very strange tasting. Gave me a tummy ache.


There was an indoor outdoor concert on the rooftop so we took advantage of the glorious sun and caught a little bit of it.






Felt odd that my butt was cold from the grass but the rest of my body was comforted by the warmth of the sun's rays. Afterwards, we walked to the dock where there were plenty of museums and sculptures.








 Krispy Kreme glazed donuts, how I need you so...We need you in Singapore.
 After the dock, we got distracted by sales at New Look where I snagged myself a blue trenchcoat for only 14 pounds, a snakeskin printed bag and heeled sandals. (UD Naked palette/perfume and sunglasses are from Barcelona; next post). I really loved my short stay in London and I know I'll definitely return (aiming for a 2014 grad trip to Europe and also to catch Glastonbury). I didn't manage to do everything I wanted, like shopping like a crazy person in Oxford Street, catching more musicals, going for the Harry Potter studio tour, day trips etc..but the trip was enough to make me love London.

Before I go- one important thing that people always ask me when I travel. Were they friendly to you? Well, in London- the people were (mostly) overwhelmingly polite and friendly. They were keen to help us out whenever we looked like we needed help, and service was almost always warm. Naturally, we did meet some horrible men. In Singapore, race is not a big issue; to me and most of the people I know at least. BUT when you're Asian in Europe, you will most definitely stand out. Traveling with my 'oriental-looking' friends meant that people were always saying Nihao to them. Another instance- In Paris, as I was walking around with Shalini, some random man greeted her with a"Vanakkam" (sp?) then turned towards Tiffany and went "Nihao" yet again. -_- It certainly gets annoying. You can also tell if they were mocking you or either being genuinely friendly. In the tube, for instance, a douchebag and his friends made fun of us for getting confused with directions. In Paris, we also encountered some rather unfriendly and cold people. Don't let such people ruin your overseas experience though. Just smile, and mind your own business.

 One thing that my friends and I collectively and extensively discussed though- when you look Southeast Asian (i.e me-Malay)..people will generally not make any pointed racial comments towards you. Simply because they have no idea what you are. In six weeks, I was only personally identified thrice: customs officer in London thought I was Malaysian (very close). Strange looking man in Troyes thought I was Philipino (also close). Random guy on the street in London thought I was South American. So there you go.

Barcelona next!

love, naf.



Comments

Mercedes Maya said…
woow
like a lot your blog!
i follow u!
follow me if u want to!
xx
www.themidniteblues.blogspot.com

Popular Posts